Load Errors in panoramic games

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Load Errors in panoramic games

Postby Grumpydlw » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:58 am

I created a game over the course of 2 years. When a player tries to load a saved game they get errors and the program quits to a 640 480 desktop.
#1 Automation error
#2 Error executing script (wants Chinese or other special chars) I want English
#3 Automation Error (again)
#4 Runtime Error #5

When the game was compiled I got 2 errors saying that Oleaut32.dll and Olepro32.dll could not be found.

Help Please.
Grumpydlw

Postby GM-Support » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi Grumpydlw,

As far as the loading of savegames is concerned, it must have something to so with the execution of some script when the game is loaded:
1) Are you using some plugins (3rd person, 360-degree panorama, or another plugin)?
2) Do you have any script under the "Advanced" tab of the "Project Properties"?
3) Are you using the "Set Resume Locations" feature?
4) Did the error start occurring recently, or has it always occurred for the 2 years?
5) Does error occur also with other projects created with Adventure Maker (like the sample games that use scripting)?

As far as the compilation error is concerned:
1) Did you try to reinstall Adventure Maker?
2) You can get the missing files from the following URL:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/systemfiles/
(right-click on a file and click "Save target as...")
Oleaut32.dll and Olepro32.dll should be in the c:/Windows/System32 directory
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Grumpydlw » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:27 am

GM Thanks for the quick reply,
I love AM and all it can do.
This project was a learning tool.

I am using the 360 plug in and have it added to the project.
No advanced scripting.
I am not using "Set Resume"
I haven't saved any other games so I don't know.
The game is now finished and it will play through from beginning to end but if anyone tries to save and then load later it doesn't.
I haven't had the problem with games created by others with AM.
I am using a modified version of the gif sequencer to play jpg's but t hat shouldn't prevent a saved game from loading. should it?
I can send screen shots of the errors if that will help there are 4 of them.
Thanks for your help here.
Grumpydlw
Grumpydlw

Postby GM-Support » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi,

The steps below should fix the problem of the savegames, which I think is due to the 360-degree plugin. By the way, I guess the problem does not occur if you test it with the 360-degree sample game included in the AM package, and the reason is that it implements the things explained below.

1) Create a new 2D solid-color frame named for example "PleaseWaitWhileResuming".

2) In the "Frame Properties" of that frame, make it so that it goes to the "Last visited frame" after 2 seconds (see the screenshot 1 below).

3) Click "Set resume locations", select all the frames, and assign the "PleaseWaitWhileResuming" frame to all of them (see the screenshot 2 below).

This should fix the problem.

If you want, you can edit the "PleaseWaitWhileResuming" frame to add some text like "Please wait while the game is being resumed...".

If you are not sure about the steps above, I recommend you to have a look at the sample 360-degree game included in the AM package. You will notice that it has a frame called "Resume", which is the equivalent of our "PleaseWaitWhileResuming" frame.

GM-Support
Attachments
PleaseWaitWhileResulingProperties.png
Screenshot 1 - In the "Frame Properties" of the "PleaseWaitWhileResuming" frame, make it so that it goes to the "Last visited frame" after 2 seconds (see the screenshot 1 below).
PleaseWaitWhileResulingProperties.png (33.57 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
SetResumeLocations.png
Screenshot 2 - Click "Set resume locations", select all the frames, and assign the "PleaseWaitWhileResuming" frame to all of them.
SetResumeLocations.png (27.89 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
GM-Support

Postby Grumpydlw » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:36 pm

GM,
Thank you.
This did solve the problem.
I'm back in business.
I do appreciate the support efforts at AM.
Keep up the good work.
Grumpydlw
Grumpydlw

Postby GM-Support » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks Grumpydlw, I am glad that it worked.

As I said on other topics, I am really looking forward to seeing some 360-degree panoramic games released. Do you have a demo to show us (even just a few frames)?
GM-Support

Postby Grumpydlw » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:55 am

GM,
Is there a PO Box or address I could send you what I have.
It's a fully completed game but it's almost 750 meg long.
I'm ready to go to market But... you are definitely welcome to a copy.
I would appreciate any and all comments and critiques.
I'm starting to story board my next game which will be more detailed, have more locations and people.
Like I said I used this game as a learning project.

I like 360's and will be building my next game with it.
Any comments as to how it will interface with an 800x600 or 1024x768 environment? The current size of 2048x2048 works well with 640x480.

Thank you for all your help with this project.
Grumpydlw[/b]
Grumpydlw

Postby GM-Support » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Thanks Grumpydlw.

As far as the resolution is concerned, it depends on the chosen aspect ratio. High aspect ratios with images manually stretched vertically to fill 2048x2048 (as described in the paragraph "Tutorial for getting the very best quality" of this page) tend to work better with high display resolutions. The drawback is that the vertical movement of the camera is limited.

A cubic panorama plugin is being considered, which should allow obtaining much better picture quality with also more freedom of camera movement. I will keep you updated on it.

Thanks again.
GM-Support

Postby Imari » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:01 pm

GM said -
A cubic panorama plugin is being considered, which should allow obtaining much better picture quality with also more freedom of camera movement. I will keep you updated on it.

Very excited to hear this, GM!

Is the game being talked about in this thread The Landing, perhaps? (I apologise for breaking into the conversation, if it's not.) I just played the demo and really enjoyed it. It had very nice sound effects and terrific voice over work. The main puzzle was very engaging.

I do have a technical problem with it though. The screen breaks up very badly whenever the cursor is on it, making it extremely difficult to click on a specific button/spot. As I move my cursor, the distortions change move with it. Here's a screen shot.

Also the sound of the car moving went silent intermittently.

If it helps, my computer specs are -
Intel D975X BX2 MB
Quad Core Q6600
2.40 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
Windows XP Pro SP2

I have the latest drivers installed and am otherwise not having problems with the computer.
~Cleo
Imari
VIP

Postby GM-Support » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:03 am

Hi,

Yes, the game being talked about in this thread is The Landing.

I don't know where the distorsions come from. I cannot reproduce them on my computers. This is pretty annoying, because reproducing a bug usually makes it easy to fix. I will try the game on more computers to see if I see the problem. Do other people experience the bug?
GM-Support

Re: Load Errors in panoramic games

Postby GM-Support » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Grumpydlw wrote:I created a game over the course of 2 years. When a player tries to load a saved game they get errors and the program quits to a 640 480 desktop.
#1 Automation error
#2 Error executing script (wants Chinese or other special chars) I want English
#3 Automation Error (again)
#4 Runtime Error #5

When the game was compiled I got 2 errors saying that Oleaut32.dll and Olepro32.dll could not be found.

Help Please.

Just for the record, the original problem has been fixed in AM v4.5 and newer.

Regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports