Two error messages and a puzzle problem. Need help.

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Two error messages and a puzzle problem. Need help.

Postby matthornb » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:34 pm

Error # 1, upon linking to a certain frame:

Error executing script.
The Scripting Engine returned the following error message:
Automation error.
The object invoked has been disconnected from its clients.

(Note: the hotspot linking to this frame executed no VBscript code upon clicking, the frame executed no code upon entry. It was, essentially, just an ordinary link from a still frame to a panorama.)

After the error appears, the panorama frame shows up, but not as a panorama, just as an immobile frame.

And yes, the Panorama checkbox in the "plugins" section of that frame's properties box is checked.

Error # 2, when attempting to play some .mp3 or .wav files:

Audio Error
Warning: Another program may be using the audio hardware resources, the audio file may be damaged, or your drivers may be unable at the same time to play an audio file and a video file. Although this error may be safely ignored, it may result in some files not being played. It is reccommended that you close all other applications that are playing, and restart the program.

(Note: The audio files were not being played by another program, they are not damaged, they play fine in other software, there is no video file being played at the same time, just a panorama. Restarting the program and closing other applications does not remove the error.)

Challenge #3: Hotspot coding.

I have four .AVI files, four small pictures, and a panorama which contains all of them.

The first two pics are the settings of a wheel. The first two videos are short clips of the wheel turning, left and right.
The other two videos and other two pics are the settings and movements of another object (panel) which should change when the wheel is turned back and forth.

Video hotspots are activated by the variables wheelpush and wheelpushback. The relevant video hotspots are enabled when these equal 1, and they are supposed to play once (loop=1)

Underneath the four normally invisible video hotspots (two in each place) are the two image hotspots, each of which has two pictures that can be placed in them.

The wheel picture hotspot is the only clickable hotspot in the system.

Code for interactable wheel hotspot:

if wheelpush = 0 then
if wheelpushback = 0 then
if wheelturned = 0 then
wheelpush = 1
Action.CreateTimedEvent 3, "wheelpush = 0", False
Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(4), "wheelafter.jpg"
if panel_attached = 1 then
Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(5), "panelup.jpg"
End if
End If
if wheelturned = 1 then
wheelpushback = 1
Action.CreateTimedEvent 3, "wheelpushback = 0", False
Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(4), "wheelbefore.jpg"
Action.LoadAPicture Hotspot(5), "paneldown.jpg"
End if
End If
End if
if wheelpush = 1 then
wheelturned = 1
End if
if wheelpushback = 1 then
wheelturned = 0
End if

The problem is that the system is erratic.

I end up with the panel in midway positions where it shouldn't end up, or the wheel changing forms without an animation.

The second wheelpushback animation hotspot is never visible.

I think there may be two issues:
One, if I'm being careless with the End if statement. I tried the if...then...else structure and the frame didn't work at all. If you could help me understand the else structure and VBscript's "for loop rules", that would help a lot.
Two, I'm holding the wheelpush and wheelpushback variables at 1 longer than the animation length. Maybe the clip repeats and gets stuck on the wrong frame and never disappears?

I'm confused.

If you can help with any of these problems, I'd appreciate it.

And no, I can't send you the project to look at. I'm on dial-up and the combined filesize is very large.

If you need screencaps of a particular part of the project, though, I can send that.
matthornb

Postby GM-Support » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:19 pm

Dear matthornb,

Would it be possible for you to send me the part of your game that has the problem, so that I can try to reproduce it on my computer ?

The email address is: contact2005@adventuremaker.com

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Tech Problems

Postby matthornb » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:01 pm

Question: How do I send a part of a game - rather than the whole thing?

I can send the whole thing, I guess.

The problems are in several different segments of the program.
matthornb

Postby GM-Support » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:22 am

Just compress the whole project folder, and then manually remove from the compressed file the biggest files (like large video files, etc.).

You can send me up to 15MB to contact2005@adventuremaker.com

Best regards,
GM-Support
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports