Playing gif-sequence in .exe [solved]

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

Playing gif-sequence in .exe [solved]

Postby Mystery » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:25 am

I used the gif-sequencer. I enabled the plugin in the project properties and copied all gif-files into the areas folder.
My problem is that the gif-sequence is only working if I test it in AM, but not in the .exe I have created. When I run the .exe it says that the first picture could not be found in the areas folder (though it is there!).
Do I have to do anything else in order to make this plugin work also in the executable? :?:

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Mystery on Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mystery
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

Postby Candle » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:56 am

I haven't use it but I guess i will ask if you did this from the help file and go from there.
HOW TO USE THE PLUGIN:

You must place the GIF files inside the "Areas" subfolder of your project folder. The name of the files must follow the AB.GIF convention, where A is any prefix of your choice and B is the number of the file (example: "prefix1.gif", "prefix2.gif"...).

To play the sequence of GIF files, create a new hotspot inside a frame, then open the "Frame Properties" of the frame, go to the "Plugins" tab, check the option "Animate a hotspot by playing a sequence of GIF files", and fill all the required fields. Make sure to specify the index (the number that identifies a hotspot) of the hotspot that you have created.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Mystery » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:04 am

Hi Candle,
Thank you for your quick answer.
Yes, I followed the instructions, so everything should be okay.
And the gif sequences (I created 4 short sequences in 4 different frames) are working properly if I test my game in AM.
The problems starts when I create an .exe file where everything else is working but not the animation. I checked the areas folder also in the .exe file and there are all the pictures needed, but somehow they can't be found during the game. I don't understand this!
I hope that someone has an idea, since I would like to be able to distribute my demo that I have just finished. :cry:
Mystery

Postby Candle » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:11 am

I would take your project folder and zip it up and upload it to here unless you have some place?
http://www.mytempdir.com/
And email GM with the link to the file. then he can look at it and see what happen.
tell him what is going on with it .
If you don't have his email PM and I will give it to you.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby GM-Support » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:32 am

Hi,

That is due to the fact that the file names in the Areas folder are encrypted in the compiled version of the project.

To solve the problem, move them to the "External" folder and change the plugin so that it looks into the External folder instead of the Areas folder. To do so, just change the code "GetPath(4)" to "GetPath(2)". The meaning of this is explained under the "GetPath" section of the following page:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/help/vbsc ... erence.htm

Best regards,

GM-Support
GM-Support

Postby Mystery » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:49 am

Thank you very much GM-Support!
I'm glad that you found out what the problem was. I suspected that I had to copy some files in other folders and make some change (since I read the posts about the problems referring to sounds and videos in the executables) but I did not exactly know what and where.
I will make these adjustments and I'm sure that this will work out. Thanx again :)

ADDED: I changed the things and now it works. Just one remark: it is NOT enough to move the pictures into the External folder, because the error message still continues. The pictures must be in both folders: the External folder and in the Areas folder. Only in this case the animation works.
:D
Mystery

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports