AM 4.4 Beta2 released! (+new features)

This forum is meant for posting anything related to Adventure Maker that doesn't fit in the other forums.Please post technical questions in the Technical Support Forum!

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

AM 4.4 Beta2 released! (+new features)

Postby GM-Support » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:36 am

Hi,

I am happy to announce the release of Adventure Maker v4.4 Beta2! :)

You can grab it here (15MB, as usual).
EDIT: download no longer available because a newer build has been released.

The changes since the Beta1 are:
  1. Fixed the iPhone/iPodTouch engine: the hotspots will now work properly (at least as far as I have tested). Also, fixed the bug reported by Mystery that prevented the frame timers from working.
  2. Must faster HTML engine: the hourglass duration now really corresponds to the time required to download the images (previously it was a fixed duration). You can see the difference when you export a game into HTML. This also applies to iPhone/iPodTouch games, but not to PSP games yet. PSP games still have a fixed hourglass duration.
  3. Possibility to change the icon that appears in the inventory when you select the option "Right-click opens the inventory with access to the menus" from the Project Properties (see attached screenshot 1).
  4. Possiblity to execute some VBScript code instead of displaying the menu at the top of the screen (see attached screenshot 2). For example, you can easily go to a custom menu frame. This code will be executed every time that the menu is supposed to appear, which means: when you press ESC, when you right-click (unless the other option is chosen), when you click on the menu icon that is in the inventory when the other option is chosen, etc.
  5. When importing a large picture in a game for Windows, Adventure Maker will ask you if you want the picture to be resized to fit the frame size. Before AM 4.4 Beta2, this feature was only available for PSP and iPhone/iPodTouch games, not for Windows games.
  6. New "800 x 600" and "1024 x 768" frame size options under the Project Properties (previously, you had to select "custom" and then manually enter the size).
  7. When playing games on the iPhone/iPodTouch, the address bar of the browser is now automatically hidden, which results in a larger game area. When the device is rotated, the rotation is detected and the address bar is hidden again.
  8. The "Load Project" window remembers the current directory
  9. The hourglass in HTML/PSP/iPhone/iPodTouch games is more visible.
  10. The frame size of iPhone/iPodTouch games corresponds better to the actual usable browser area.
  11. New icon for the "COMPILE" button in the AM user interface (the previous icon showed a floppy disk, which caused confusion with a save function).
  12. New "help" button on every menu of Adventure Maker (however, it leads to the same help document: it's not contextual help for the moment).
  13. Fixed the bug of the inventory items overlapping with the menu button that appears in the inventory when the option "Right-click opens the inventory with access to the menus" is selected.

These are just the changes since the Beta1. For more information on the Beta1 and its changes since previous versions, please visit the topic where the Beta1 was announced.

GM-Support :)
Attachments
change_menu_icon.png
Screenshot1
change_menu_icon.png (42.5 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
replace_the_menu.png
Screenshot2
replace_the_menu.png (46.04 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
Last edited by GM-Support on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GM-Support
Forum Admin and Games Page admin

sdfgsdg

Postby Crazygamemaker » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:39 am

Great Job GM!!!! :D

I hope that the duration on the PSP games will be improved.
Anyways....I'm downloading this right now!!! :D
AdvenureMaker is so easy even a caveman can use it!
Crazygamemaker
VIP

Postby Candle » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:25 am

Looking good there.
Please don't PM me questions, ask here in the forums!
``````````````
Between grand theft and a legal fee, there only stands a law degree.
Candle
Administrator

Postby Gumbro » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:22 pm

Great work!

Request1: include a possibility to disable the hourglass. Most browsers, including PSP, have already a built-in 'hourglass' for page loading.

Request2: add 'resize all' as an option when importing pictures. Of course the current import works, but importing and resizing a lot of frames is a bit tedious. I really like the 'resize' feature and this addition would make it more user friendly.

[edit]
Made a short game for iPhone/iTouch in landscape mode, uploaded it to local server, and tested it with PSP browser. Just clicking on a hotspot, a hourglass is displayed and the game hangs there. Works fine with Firefox and IE.
[/edit]

Cheers,

G
Gumbro

Postby Mystery » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:29 am

Wow, I haven't been able to visit for a couple of days, and now I see the new version! Great job GM, thank you :D
Mystery

Great job

Postby tribalxdude » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:41 am

Great Job!
Hey GM. Here are a few more items you could think about.

1. More access to things thru the scripting language.
Action.PlayerHasItem (ItemName) For example
2. Ability to actually show a message when the frame loads at the bottom. Can accomplish this using a timed event but think it would be cool if the before the Frame has loaded script could do it.
3. Ability to type in the hotspot size and location on the Frame Editor.
4. More treeview node levels in the frames management than 1. For better organization for large projects.
5. Ability to set the frame preview thumbnails size bigger than microscopic.

I understand the VB6 ImageList controls have a hard time with image formats above the 256 colors of the 90?s so I won?t go into transparencies or true color icons. But the items listed above sure would make a huge difference in easing the frustration of developing with AM.

Side Note:
I just used EZTalk by ShadowHunter for the first time and love it. Now there?s a dude that understands the concept.

Anyway you know me I am always asking for the simple stuff, I still don?t have a Panoramic control that works but have gone to a 2D game waiting for results on the ?Cubic Panoramic? control that you talked about. It?s not such a big deal anymore, I am well into a 2D project and hope with all sincerity that a few of the items I have mentioned could be implemented in the next update.
stuffs getting better, stuffs getting better everyday.
tribalxdude

1 more thing almost forgot

Postby tribalxdude » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:49 am

I have an odd screen resolution 1280 X 800 or something. It's a wide screen.
The frame editor is impossible to edit 1024 X 768 on my computer because of the task bar. I have tried moving the task bar to the side but it sucks.

I see that when the panoramic is used the frame editor has scrollbars. Is it possible to make a 2D frame edit window scrollable also?
tribalxdude

Postby GM-Support » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks tribalxdude for those suggestions. I have just added them to my to-do list. I am sure most people agree with you on most points.

As far as the scroll bars are concerned, the only way to have them in a 2D game is to set the "Frame Size" (from the Project Properties) to a value that is smaller than the size of the pictures you use in your game. What you can do is to temporarily decrease the "Frame Size" and then to increase it again when you compile the game. (I have still added this to the to-do list, because it is quite tricky right now).

As far as the "HasItem" command is concerned, you can already do that, I have just posted a tutorial here:
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=3301

Thanks Gumbro for the two suggestions. I have taken note of them, but I am not sure I can make it for AM 4.4.0, because it is about to be released. But they will be probably added in the next update.

Thanks again,
GM-Support
GM-Support

Life saver

Postby tribalxdude » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:22 pm

That would be so freaking cool!!!!:D

Right now It?s very hard to keep track of things in the frames management area. To have a freeform treeview in AM would be like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and I would be happy to keep quiet about the panoramic thing forever if you set it up so one could work with a full hierarchy in the treeview with cust om thumbnail sizes.

To be able to type in the location of the hotspots both in the frame editor and in the hotspots property dialog! Man, I would not know which ~~didn't mean to swear~~ cheek to kiss, I would be so freaking happy I might fart.

I freaking can?t wait!!!!! Yea!!! Cool!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I got the code for looping through the inventory collection. Cool Thank you I know exactly what to do now.

Stuff is truly getting better.

Thanks GM take back every bad thing I ever said about you.
tribalxdude

Postby imothep85 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi, no news for the Hotspots?
imothep85

Return to Adventure Maker General Discussion