3rd person position problem

This forum is meant for requesting technical support or reporting bugs.

Moderators: time-killer-games, Vengeance66, Candle, reneuend, GM-Support

3rd person position problem

Postby grandalf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:46 pm

With the 3rd person plugin, it all works fine, but...my problem with this is, that the third person moves behind the transparent /normal gifs that i put on the screen, i basically want him to walk infront of everything, this is a problem not only with gifs but also with rippling water onscreen as well same thing happens. he starts walking behind it.
Sometimes you may want this to happen but most of the time not.
Is there some way to modify it in some way to fix this?
There was no option in the properties etc that i could see?
grandalf

Postby reneuend » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:07 pm

I haven't ventured into 3rd person yet. Is it possible to alter the background so the gifs you mention are part of the background?
---

reneuend
Administrator

3rd person position

Postby grandalf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:03 am

Well, unless there is a way (code) in vb or am to replace certain areas on the screen quickly enough that i could swap out the bitmap, as currently all my objects i use in the game, like lights, buttons for puzzles etc use gifs. Id normally use a replace bitmap pixels routine yes but i dont know currently any code in vb or am which would let me do this to part of a screen? I mean id normally use that technique for game programmming blitting the background/pixel blocks around, i guess if i could use something like that in am then if i was using the 3rd person in the game, id probably replace all my gifs that would work yes, but the gifs are very simple and in combination with the hotspots and the fact that you can load new pictures into them after a mouse click makes them very versitle indead. Is there any option in a hotspot property that alters a picture hotspot that could change this to make 3rd person walk in front instead?
grandalf

Postby mercedes » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:02 am

Hi there..:D

For the 3rd person you have to make it walk around the object..there is no way to make it walk in front of it..only behind..using the same pictures with GIFs. This is as far as i could see..Or use hotspots and coordinates..might work~

This is speaking of an object that's part of the background.
So if there is bench lets say, that's part of your background, the sprite would either walk through it..or on top of it..or u can make it go around it..from behind, using the same picture again in the hotspot over top of the bench-u place a picture of the bench[GIF] in the same spot~

Edit* I see u noticed this already..~:D

However if you want the sprite to walk over to a hotspot..[Like it's pressing a button or opening a door-hotspot that changes] You have to work with the coordinates..
So if it stops directly in front of it, you would make a hotspot and use the coordinates u want it to stop at.-in that hotspot..Using your mouse to see the exact coordinates you want..on the frame

This is indeed a bit of work..and you use alot of hotspots..
What I did instead, was making it First person for those frames..So if the sprite walks over to say a board game..have it land right at the board game, but have the user have to click it again and bring it to another frame-to play the board game.

If it's just a button, that the picture changes with the sprite still in the frame..make sure the coordinates u use land the sprite--[a different hotspot] out of the hotspots coordinates--the one that changes..

As for the rippling water effect, i don't believe this works for the 3rd person plugin..U can't have the sprite anywhere near it..

Here's an example on how to make it walk around it..but from the sounds of it, you know this already..
http://www.adventuremaker.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3247&highlight=3rd+person+walk

I hope this helped in some way..and I understood what u were asking..:D
mercedes
VIP

3rd person

Postby grandalf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:11 am

No that answers it perfectly. thx.
Ill implement the offset coords idea as u suggested yes that will work for me in this case. Other than this yes, the html link on the 3rd person i found that very useful.
grandalf

Postby mercedes » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:47 am

Oh ok good..:D

One more thing, I found it easier too, [in case it helps] to take the coordinates from the next frame it goes too, and put them in the frame's hotspot-that takes it there.

So if it's an arrow--in FrameA, taking the user to FrameB,
In FrameA's hotspot[arrow] put where it says, [Going to the next frame] put the coordinates and the Orientation..of where u want it to land in FrameB

You would have to know the exact coordinates of where u want it to land in Frame B..by using your mouse-

It takes a bit more work, but it makes for a well put together 3rd person..and guarantees he won't land in the sky somewhere..lol..

I never used in the frames' properties--the option--'Don't wait for character to arrive' it never worked right..when testing..It would once but then not again..Using coordinates guarantees proper landing..

Also using orientation, for each place it lands, you can make the sprite look to the player, or where u want it too..if it's an user interactive type game..

Peace
mercedes
VIP

Return to Adventure Maker Technical Support and Bug Reports